Cameron takes first SuperUtes win

21 Oct 2018
Mazda youngster breaks through on the Gold Coast
3 mins by James Pavey

Aaron Cameron claimed a maiden ECB SuperUtes Series victory in the reversed-grid second race of Round 7 at the Gold Coast street circuit.

The Mazda driver made his way from third to take top spot, ultimately finishing 6.4489 seconds clear of Ryal Harris, in a one-two for Peters Motorsport.

  • Click here for full Race 2 results

Making light work of his competition, Cameron was into first place by lap two of the eight, slotting past Matthew MacKelden at Turn 11 for the lead.

With the win, the Bushranger Racing driver becomes the seventh different victor in the maiden SuperUtes season, ending a run of four-straight for Harris.

“The car was the best it’s ever been, it was coming off corners and braking well so I was really confident,” Cameron said

“I managed to get clear track early, and then I was pushing hard because I knew Ryal was coming up behind me. I basically drove eight qualifying laps.

“Stoked to finally break through for a win and a good result for Peters Motorsport with first and second.”

Race 1 winner and series leader Harris was Cameron's closest challenger in the EFS 4x4 Mazda BT-50, moving from ninth on the grid to finish second.

Harris was already fourth leading into the third lap and then took second position with a move on Luke Van-Herwaarde on lap four.

SuperUtes debutant Van-Herwaarde rounded out the podium in the Western Sydney Motorsport Toyota Hilux, having started fourth.


“I lost fifth gear on the second lap, which was costing me some straight-line speed, so I’m really happy with third considering,” he said.

“I concentrated on making no mistakes, and I was able to bring it home.”

Cameron Crick made his way from sixth to fourth in the factory-backed Mitsubishi Triton, ahead of Craig Woods in another WSM Hilux.

Off the rolling start, polesitter MacKelden led the opening lap but then dropped throughout the race, eventually settling for sixth in the Kubota Toyota.

Team Triton's Micheal Sieders was eighth, having been a non-starter in Saturday's opening race, due to an electrical problem that was detected on the dummy grid.

Thomas Gasperak and Christopher Formosa rounded out the top 10, ahead of another debutant, Richard Mork in the second Allgate Ranger and Ben Walsh at the bottom.

Walsh was running seventh until finding the tyres at Turn 12 on the final lap.

“I was behind Matt for the last three laps and he was driving inside lines everywhere,” Walsh said.

“I tried to do the over-and-under to get past him, but just missed the corner and ended up in he wall.”

Standing in for Steve Wilson in the Isuzu D-MAX, Kim Jane is out for the weekend, sidelined with engine problems that emerged after ARMOR ALL Qualifying on Friday.

The third and final race will be held at 11:05am AEST, as part of the Vodafone Gold Coast 600.

Related News