Alexander takes out SuperUtes Race 2

22 Jul 2018
Holden driver wins second heat at Queensland Raceway
3 mins by James Pavey
Highlights: Race 2 ECB SuperUtes Series 2018 Ipswich

Tom Alexander claimed a comfortable victory in the second race for Round 4 of the ECB SuperUtes Series at Queensland Raceway.

The SP Tools Holden Colorado driver made his way from 10th on a reversed-grid to take top spot, ultimately finishing 1.8735 seconds clear of Ryal Harris.

  • Click here for full Race 2 results

Alexander picked his opponents off one-by-one, taking third with five laps remaining, and then moving past polesitter Ben Walsh to take the lead on lap seven of the 10.

“Awesome to get the win this morning after just missing out yesterday," Alexander, second to Harris on Saturday, said.

"I was able to fight through the field, and benefit from a few people making mistakes in front.

“It’s not easy to pass in these SuperUtes, so sometimes it’s best to apply the pressure and wait for the car in front to make a mistake.”

Saturday's winner Harris was Alexander's closest competitor in the EFS 4X4 Mazda BT-50, moving from last on the grid to take second.

Walsh led the first seven laps, but ran wide at Turn 3 and relinquished the lead to Alexander.

Moments later, the Car City Toyota was spun around by Cameron Crick at Turn 4, dropping to finish fourth.

"The car was good early but in the second half of the race, I started to get rear axle tramp, which caused me to lock up and spear off at Turn 3," said Walsh.

SuperUtes debutant Crick copped a drive-through penalty and finished eighth in the #87 Triton, having run second earlier.


"We were three-wide into Turn 4 and Walsh tried to brake the latest out of all of us," Crick said.

"I was already committed on the inside so we hit."

Crick's team-mate Micheal Sieders took third in his maiden SuperUtes round with Team Triton.

“I didn’t make it easy for myself – off the start, I hit the brake instead of the clutch," said Sieders.

“After that, I just focused on setting consistent lap times and staying out of trouble, and it worked out for me in the end.”

Tomas Gasperak in fifth, Christopher Formosa and Steve Wilson filled the places between Walsh and Crick, while Craig Woods was ninth.

Wheel comes flying off SuperUte

There was early drama for Matthew MacKelden, who made contact with Wilson's Isuzu at Turn 3 on the opening lap, plucking the left-rear wheel out of the Kubota Racing Hilux.

MacKelden was forced to retire his Toyota on the spot.

“I thought there was a hole there, and I was well down the inside of Steve when we made contact," MacKelden added.

“It’s broken the complete left-rear assembly and we’re not sure if we’ll get it out for Race 3, because it’s a fairly tight turnaround.”

Aaron Cameron's Bushranger Racing Mazda made a trip to the pits with turbo problems and finished 10th, one lap down.

The third and final race of the weekend will be held at 12:30pm Sunday, as part of the Coates Hire Ipswich SuperSprint.

Related News