Aaron Cameron hits out over Brodie Kostecki clash, DJR accepts penalty
Ford drivers Cameron and Kostecki collided disputing fourth on final lap
Cameron finished 17th, Kostecki 12th after crossing the line fourth
Aaron Cameron was left to wonder what could've been as a top four finish went begging in the final race of the DUNLOP Sydney 500.
Cameron, who had recorded a maiden podium finish on Friday night, was back at the head of the field after fading into the midpack in Race 2 with poor tyre life in the final stint.
Continuing what was a breakout weekend for both the Victorian and Blanchard Racing Team, the #3 LIQUI MOLY BLAHST Ford was running fourth on the final lap of the race, with Brodie Kostecki tucked in behind.
However, at Turn 2 the #17 Shell V-Power Ford poked its nose up the inside of the double-apex left hander, and tagged the BRT Ford into a spin within sight of the chequered flag.
Agonisingly, it took Cameron the best part of 30 seconds to re-fire the car, with the 2024 Super2 runner-up tumbling down to 17th in the final order.
Kostecki, having finished fourth on road, was demoted to 12th courtesy of a 15 second penalty.
A clearly frustrated Cameron was in disbelief when he returned to the lane, having watched a big bag of points slip through his fingers.
“We’ll take the positives out of it, it was an amazing weekend,” said Cameron.
“Great top five speed from both cars, and it was just not something you would expect coming into the weekend.
“For me, to recover from last night with my tyre life issues was really positive, and get that- what should’ve been, and was, a top five…
“It just doesn’t make sense to me why you would do that.”
Cameron admitted that while he knew Kostecki was lurking, he was disappointed that he made what he thought was such low percentage move.
The Victorian was also disappointed that the move cost Ford what would've been a crushing top five lockout.
“I had no idea that he would go for it," Cameron continued.
“I saw him lining up with two laps to go at Turn 6 using all the exit there, and he got me earlier in the race using the exit out of 5.
“So I was pre-empting that he was going to have a go at 6, which is ok, but for me it just doesn’t quite make sense. “For a podium, yeah, but for a fourth and fifth it really doesn’t make sense, and it’s Round 1 of the championship when we both drive Fords.
“It was going to be a Ford top five lockout, now I think it was three Fords, still a podium lockout, and it cost us a bunch of points early in the year.
“It just makes me very disappointed.
“But super positive with the speed we’ve got, it’s going to be a great year for Blanchard Racing Team.”
When contacted by Supercars.com post-race Dick Johnson Racing Team Principal Mark Fenning offered a short statement, declaring that the contact wasn't intentional.
“We are disappointed with the outcome of the incident, the collision wasn’t our intention,” Fenning told Supercars.com.
“Upon reviewing the incident post-race with Craig Baird, we accept responsibility for the incident, and the penalty awarded.”