Thomas Randle has been cleared to race at the next Dunlop Super2 Series round in Tasmania, with positive blood test results allowing his chemotherapy treatment to be delayed.
The MW Motorsport driver announced earlier this year he had been diagnosed with testicular cancer and was originally scheduled to begin chemotherapy last week.
Randle was a leading contender all weekend at the Superloop Adelaide 500 last month, claiming the first ARMOR ALL Pole Position of the season and the Sunday race win.
There were fears the 23-year-old would not be able to back that up at the second round in Symmons Plains on April 3-5 – which could have effectively ended his pursuit of the Super2 title and the associated $400,000 prize.
Those fears have now been put to rest, at least for now.
Following a series of blood tests and visits to his oncologist, Randle has been given the green light to race, putting a halt to what had been a "constant waiting game".
"It's a relief, it's kind of like you just pass each test... it's like high school or at university where you've got each mathematics test and you just want to pass it," Randle told Supercars.com.
"It's a great thing and considering where we left Adelaide, right in the hunt, it's fantastic.
"I was meant to start chemo on the Tuesday after Adelaide, so how quickly things can change is good, but it's just another hurdle that I've jumped over.
"My oncologist wants to do regular check-ups now... the next check-up is in a month, then I think it's every month after that as well.
"It's a little win at the moment, but things could change in a month.
"The oncologist is happy with where the levels are at to postpone doing the treatment and he wouldn't say otherwise, he's an associate professor.
"It's not like we've pleaded our racing story and he said 'oh that comes first' – the health comes first for these professors, so he wouldn't be doing anything he didn't think was right.
"If the levels go up next month it'll be a different outcome, but now it's just about keeping the levels down and doing everything I can do to that.”
Confident of his star driver’s health, Randle says his team boss Matthew White had already booked his flights to Tasmania before hearing the positive news.
"I told Matt White yesterday afternoon that we'll be back for Tassie and he was pretty happy, so it's really good for him as well," Randle added.
"He actually booked the flights for Tassie on the Saturday at Adelaide and he said 'what's your frequent flyer number', so the flights were already booked and I'll be back racing at Symmons Plains."
Randle joined MWM from Tickford in the off-season to tackle his third campaign in the feeder class, and will dovetail that with a PIRTEK Enduro Cup co-drive for Brad Jones Racing alongside Nick Percat.
Having finished runner-up to Brodie Kostecki in the opening two races of the season, Randle left Adelaide second in the standings, two points behind Kostecki.
The winner of the 2020 Dunlop Super2 Series will be awarded $400,000 to go towards securing a top tier drive next year.