Waters, Hazelwood at odds over Race 33 incident

  • Repco Supercars Championship
  • |
  • 04/12/2022
  • By James Pavey

Cam Waters and Todd Hazelwood are at odds over the dramatic Race 33 incident that ended the latter’s afternoon.

Waters led away from pole position, but was set back on strategy after an ill-timed Safety Car.

The Tickford Racing driver was the official leader on lap 48, and he took on the fuel needed to make the mandatory 140-litre fill.

Waters was seventh at the lap 52 restart, and ran wide after an overtake attempt on Macauley Jones at Turn 4.

He then made contact with Hazelwood at Turn 5 — the #35 Truck Assist Commodore spun into the wall and was hit by Will Brown.

Hazelwood was out, while Waters was handed a drive-through penalty.

He dropped as low as 18th, before finishing 13th — but was adamant Hazelwood left him no room.

“Started good, got a good start, led half the race,” Waters said.

“The car was an absolute jet, obviously the strategy stuff happened.

“We got that Safety Car in the two-lap window we didn’t want it, which hurt us.

“The car was super speedy, so I wan’t too fazed by it at that point.

“Obviously lunged Macauley, and I don’t know which car it was... decided to turn in for what and left me no room.

“Got a drive-through for something I don’t think I deserved.”

The stewards’ report reads: "“A Pit Lane Drive Through Penalty for Car 6, Cam Waters, for Careless Driving after Car 6 made contact with Car 35, Todd Hazelwood, at Turn 5 causing Car 35 to collide with the wall at the exit of Turn 5”.

Local driver Hazelwood had reached the Top Ten Shootout, and was on for a better result than where he started.

However, he ended the day on the back of a flatbed truck and with chassis damage to the #35.

"Got wreaked [sic] by some dumb driving today after running 8th,” Hazelwood posted to social media.

"Was on track for a great result for the team, so gutted for the crew having to fix what is now a very bent up chassis and $100k damage.”

Waters is now a reduced 91 points ahead of Chaz Mostert, who led a Walkinshaw Andretti United one-two.

The Tickford spearhead was lucky to make the end at all after he found trouble at Turn 11 for the second time of the weekend.

Despite his race falling away, Waters — armed with a fast car — is confident he can turn it around on Sunday.

“It’s crazy how much marbles and dirt was offline,” Waters said.

“If you went a little bit offline, you’re in a world of hurt.

“It caught me off-guard once at [Turn] 11… it was was an intense race, 100 per cent the whole way.

“Very disappointing for us when we had a speedy car.

“We’ll bounce back tomorrow.”

Cars will return on Sunday for ARMOR ALL Qualifying at 11:00am local time.

The 12:05pm Shootout will complete the grid for the 2:45pm Race 34.

Stay In The Know
Sign up to the Repco Supercars Championship Newsletter