Walkinshaw’s plea to Eseries sceptics

  • Virgin Australia Supercars Championship Supercars All Stars Eseries
  • |
  • 26/03/2020
  • By Supercars.com

Walkinshaw Andretti United director Ryan Walkinshaw has touted the upcoming Supercars All Stars Eseries as a massive fillip for the sport.

A long-time supporter of Esports, Walkinshaw believes the online championship on the iRacing platform will bring many benefits while fans await a return to outdoors action.

WAU won the 2019 Eseries contested by professional racing gamers; star sim driver Josh Rogers dominated the series with his teammate Jarrad Filsell completing a one-two.

The Holden team’s Supercars drivers Chaz Mostert and Bryce Fullwood have been confirmed for the All Stars Eseries, with the full field set to compete.

“To have the ability to compete on a platform, which is as close to the real thing as it gets, is a privileged position we find ourselves in as a sport,” Walkinshaw said.

“Through the Eseries, we’ve got an incredible opportunity to continue to compete and entertain, on an authentic, relevant platform, in a way that’s accessible to the public.

“You’ll still see Chaz in the Mobil 1™ Appliances Online No. 25, Bryce will still be in the Mobil 1 Middy’s Racing No. 2, battling it out with the same names and faces we saw in Adelaide.

“It’s a great way to stay visible, give the fans something to watch, and importantly, continue to help our fantastic partner group.

“Fans can still watch their favourite teams and drivers from home, through Fox Sports, Twitch, or Facebook, it’s easy to access, and it will be a lot of fun.

“We’ve seen how well the Supercars Eseries did last year, the new audience it allowed us to reach, and I’m sure that will continue in 2020.

“I understand there will still be a few people who aren’t fully sold on Esports, but all I can say to them is tune in and give it a chance, I think you’ll be surprised at the quality of product and how much you enjoy it.

“It’s different, yes, but it’s still great to watch.”

Walkinshaw added some words of encouragement for people to do their bit in limiting the spread of the COVID-19 virus that has forced a stop to usual activities including mainstream sports.

“We all have a role to play in this, every single one of us,” he said.

“Please listen to the advice, stay home, and look after each other. We will all get through this, together.”

The opening round of the Supercars All Stars Eseries will take place on April 8 with races at Phillip Island and Monza.

Stay In The Know
Sign up to the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship Newsletter