However, further pain experienced last weekend left doctors to conclude more treatment and recovery time are required.
“Following Richie's medical withdrawal from Race 14 of the Supercars Championship at Winton Raceway, he has been undergoing treatment from Supercars doctor, Dr Carl,” read a team statement.
“Due to the recurrence of neck issues originating from a high-speed accident at Spa in a Formula Renault 3.5 in 2012, he has been advised by Dr Carl and a neurosurgeon to undergo further treatment to be fit and race ready for Townsville.
“Since Winton, Richie's health had been improving on a daily basis, yet he suffered a setback a couple of days ago.
“As per Winton, Richie's Enduro Cup partner and GRM TCR Driver, Chris Pither will fill in for Richie and race the #33 Boost Mobile Commodore at Darwin.”
Boost Mobile Racing director Barry Rogers confirmed to Supercars.com that Stanaway wanted to race in Darwin, but the team made the decision this morning based on Dr Carl’s advice.
“At the end of the day Richie wants to race, but the fact is he’s 27 years of age, he’s got his life ahead of him,” said Rogers.
“It’s unfortunate, because blokes that want to race want to race and he 100 percent wants to race, but we’ve taken advice off Dr Carl and told him he can’t race.
“You’ve got to think of your wellbeing. Racing is important, that’s what he does, but your wellbeing is more important than motor racing.”
Stanaway will not travel to Darwin, maximising his recovery time ahead of the Watpac Townsville 400 on July 5-7.