Family the word: why Mostert couldn't leave WAU

  • Repco Supercars Championship
  • |
  • 15/05/2021
  • By Family the word: why Mostert couldn't leave WAU

Chaz Mostert has cited Walkinshaw Andretti United’s "family" orientation as the reason behind his new "no-brainer" contract extension.

On Tuesday, Mostert was confirmed to have inked a "multi-year" contract extension with the team he joined last year.

The new deal will commence in 2022, meaning Mostert will be a WAU driver for at least four years dating back to the start of 2020.

Mostert has made 37 race starts for WAU, claiming a win at Symmons Plains in April.

The 2014 Bathurst 1000 winner has been crucial in returning WAU to the front, with the team enduring mixed fortunes prior to Mostert's arrival.

WATCH: MOSTERT ‘SUPER EXCITED’ TO STAY WITH WAU

Mostert’s Tasmania win was the WAU's first since Albert Park in 2018, ending the famous team’s longest winless run since its inception in 1990, two years before Mostert’s birth.

Andretti Autosport and United Autosports, skippered by Michael Andretti and Zak Brown respectively, bought into the Ryan Walkinshaw-led operation in 2017.

Signing Mostert marked the biggest coup yet, with the former Ford hero frequently cited as a future Supercars champion.

For Mostert, signing a deal to remain with WAU was an easy decision, having moulded the team around himself since his arrival.

"I’m super pumped to sign on with Walkinshaw Andretti United on a multi-year deal, and repay the faith that Ryan, Martine, Michael, Zak and the entire WAU team showed in me," he said.

"It’s been pretty incredible to see what we’ve been able to achieve together in a short amount of time, under some pretty challenging circumstances, so I’m excited for the future, and have no doubt that will continue.

"It was a no-brainer for me to re-sign that’s for sure. This team is incredible, full of amazing people and it is very family orientated. Why would I leave my family?"

So far in his WAU career, Mostert has justified his move away from Tickford Racing, where he called home between 2014 and 2019.

While he fell short of victory in his maiden WAU campaign, Mostert finished fifth overall, marking the best championship finish by a WAU driver in nine years.

He was Shane van Gisbergen’s closest challenger at the season-opening Repco Mt Panorama 500, scoring two podiums.

At the third event in Tasmania, he scored his first win for the team, helping the famous Clayton squad to victory lane for the first time in three years.

The news also ends speculation of a blockbuster move to Triple Eight Race Engineering, with Jamie Whincup to retire from full-time competition at the end of 2021.

"We are delighted to continue our journey with Chaz, he has been instrumental in our development and the path we are on as a team, we definitely have big things we still want to achieve together, which was always the goal when we started," team co-owner Ryan Walkinshaw said.

"He is without doubt one of the leading drivers in the category, and we have worked really hard as a collective to put ourselves in the fight.

"It’s not just on the track we are seeing results though, he is a major part of our family, and fits into our culture perfectly.

"We remain completely focused on the 2021 season, but it’s nice to know our future with Chaz is now secured, and I can’t wait to see what we can continue to achieve."

Michael Andretti added: "We are excited to announce the re-signing of Chaz with our team, he is a fantastic driver and a huge part of our family.

"When Chaz joined Walkinshaw Andretti United in 2020, we had big ambitions we wanted to achieve together, and today’s news is another step toward that.

"If 2021 to date is anything to go by, I think we have a lot to look forward to together, and I can’t wait to see it unfold."

Zak Brown said: "Having Chaz remain with Walkinshaw Andretti United into the future is so exciting.

"He is a world-class driver who has been instrumental in our growth as a team. We share the same ambitions, and want to finish what we started together.

"We are in a really strong position in 2021 thanks the strong start to the season, so I can’t wait to see what we can achieve not only in 2021, but into 2022 and beyond."

Mostert will return to the track at Hidden Valley Raceway on Friday.

The Repco Supercars Championship field will return to the Northern Territory for the Merlin Darwin Triple Crown across June 18-20. Tickets are available here.

The event will be broadcast live on Foxtel and will be streamed on Kayo, and will be broadcast live and free on Seven.

Stay In The Know
Sign up to the Repco Supercars Championship Newsletter