Drivers, teams react to AGP cancellation

  • Virgin Australia Supercars Championship
  • |
  • 13/03/2020
  • By Stefan Bartholomaeus

Supercars teams have voiced support for the Australian Grand Prix Corporation’s decision to cancel the entire Albert Park event.

The AGPC announced on Friday morning that, after being advised by Formula 1 that the F1 action would be cancelled, the entire event had been called off.

It marked a definitive move amid the unfolding COVID-19 situation, which included a member of the McLaren F1 team in Melbourne testing positive for the virus on Thursday night.

Earlier this morning, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews had announced no spectators would be allowed at the venue if the event was to take place.

Supercars teams were informed of the cancellation as they were preparing for this morning’s qualifying action, following initial practice and qualifying on Thursday.

Other support race action scheduled for this morning had not taken place while the situation was being worked though.

“It is unfortunate that we will not be able to race this weekend,” said Tickford Racing CEO and team principal, Tim Edwards.

“However in these unprecedented circumstances we support this decision made by Supercars and the Australian Grand Prix organisers.

“As a team, we had already taken several precautions to protect the health of our staff, fans, and the general public, and will continue to do so between now and our next race event.”

Team 18 owner Charlie Schwerkolt declared the news a disappointment, but also backed the AGPC’s call.

“We were all really excited to race at the Australian Grand Prix, but respect for the Australian Grand Prix Corporation for following the advice of the FIA and the government’s health authorities,” he said.

“We are all in a holding pattern at the moment but unfortunately we will not be racing this weekend.”

Walkinshaw Andretti United also expressed its support via a statement.

“While we are disappointed not to be racing this weekend, we support the decision that has been made to cancel the 2020 Australian Grand Prix,” it read.

“Health and safety of all personnel and attendees is paramount.

“We thank the category and all our partners for their ongoing support in a difficult situation.”

Supercars has already declared it will look to reschedule an extra event later in the season, to retain the planned 14-round season.

Several drivers meanwhile took to social media to give their views of the situation.

Stay In The Know
Sign up to the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship Newsletter