Coulthard talks contract

  • Virgin Australia Supercars Championship
  • |
  • 14/05/2015
  • By V8 Supercars

Fabian Coulthard has spoken further about his scenario with Brad Jones Racing, as his contract with the team expires at the end of the year.

The Kiwi, who sits fourth in the Championship, explained on Inside Supercars that he was negotiating with the team - but in the wake of discussions of an upgraded package for Chaz Mostert, Coulthard noted that the paycheck that came with the drive was important to him.

"I'm in negotiations with Brad Jones Racing trying to come to an agreement but hopefully a salary like that wouldn't be too bad," Coulthard said on the panel.

"We've got some talking to do but I'd like to come to an agreement sooner rather than later."

While cost cutting has been a recent topic in V8 Supercars, the Freightliner racer said drivers needed to maximise the years they are able to perform at their peak.

"At the end of the day you've got to do what's best for you and you're not racing V8 Supercars all your life - it's a limited life span and then you move on to do other things ... I'm just trying to put together the best possible deal I can get."

While Coulthard has expressed since last season - when the team signed a multi-year deal with sponsor Freightliner to run on the #14 Holden Commodore VF - he'd like to remain with the Albury outfit, he also outlined a range of options up and down pit lane, including the TEKNO Autosports seat now occupied by fellow kiwi Shane van Gisbergen, widely considered one of the best options because of the team's relationship with Triple Eight.

"There's a few options, there's obviously the TEKNO seat, there's potentially something at Erebus, there's my current place at Brad Jones Racing, [James] Moffat's out of [contract at] Nissan, so there's plenty of opportunities out there that you can pursue.

"But at the end of the day continuity is a big thing for me, I've been at the team - Brad Jones Racing - it's the longest period I've been with a team and I've liked my time there.

"They've given me a good car, a reliable car, everyone on my car and my engineer get along perfectly - it's something I'd like to continue to do."

Coulthard told v8supercars.com.au he was unable to speak to others until later this year: "I am not legally allowed to talk to anyone until October ... so I will just go about my business and do my thing."

And he is confident he has the equipment to fight for the Championship this season at BJR.

"At the end of the day I believe they can [give me a championship winning car]. We've come a long way - I've been part of that building phase to get them where they're at so we just have to keep working together as a group.

"Obviously money's a big thing, getting the sponsorship and the support to then take our team to the next level is quite a key component, but I think we do a fantastic job with the equipment that we have."

Meanwhile, Erebus has confirmed there is not an available seat at the two-car operation, with both Will Davison and Ash Walsh contracted to the team; and the panel discussed the possibility of a change of driver in the third Prodrive Racing (Australia) car, now piloted by David Reynolds.

Coulthard won a race at Winton last year, as the teams prepare to hit the track tomorrow for the NP300 Navara Winton SuperSprint.

Click here for ticketing information,or stay tuned this weekend for all the V8 Supercars action:

Saturday - Race 10: 13.50, Race 11: 16.20, FOX SPORTS 506
Highlights: 20.30 ONE, 24.00 Ten.

Sunday - Race 12: 13.15, FOX SPORTS 506
Highlights: 16.00 Ten, 20.30 ONE.

Stay In The Know
Sign up to the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship Newsletter