Explore a mix of World Heritage-Listed wet tropics, rainforests, reefs, sandy beaches, outback towns and Great Barrier Reef islands in Townsville North Queensland.
Whilst in Townsville, here are some of the region’s must-dos:
- Escape to Magnetic Island, just a 20 minute ferry ride from Townsville.
- Learn about the world-leading conservation and research programs helping to preserve the World Heritage-Listed Great Barrier Reef at Reef HQ Aquarium.
- Cuddle a wombat and a koala at Billabong Sanctuary in Townsville.
- Dive among tropical fish at the SS Yongala shipwreck, one of the top 10 dive sites in the world.
- Make your way to the top of Castle Hill in the centre of Townsville to see 360 degree views. More than 1000 locals run and walk the hill every day.
- Enjoy the community vibe and take part in one of the many music festivals, sporting events, culinary fiestas and carnivals.
- Explore the nationally-acclaimed galleries and civic theatre.
- Delve into the history of Townville at the Museum of Tropical North Queensland.
- Explore the heritage buildings in Charters Towers and Ravenswood.
- Witness the 268 metre wall of water at Wallaman Falls – the longest single drop waterfall in Australia.
- Walk along The Strand, which stretches for 2.5km with magnificent views of Magnetic Island, and enjoy a great selection of restaurants and cafes. Let the kids play at The Rock Pool—a sheltered salt water lagoon—or go on the slides at the free water park.
- Discover secluded GBR islands and beaches.
- Experience koalas in their natural habitat on Magnetic Island or snorkel the coral outcrops on Magnetic Island.
- Find the elusive platypus at Paluma.
- Discover the abundant birds in the Tropics wetlands.
- Get back to nature and trek the Thorsborne Trail on Hinchinbrook Island.