Supercars stars inspect Newcastle progress

  • 25/09/2017
  • By Supercars.com
  • Virgin Australia Supercars Championship

Three Supercars stars have inspected track works in Newcastle as the countdown continues to November’s inaugural Coates Hire Newcastle 500.

Marking 60 days until kick-off for the November 24-26 Supercars season finale, Shane van Gisbergen, James Courtney and Chaz Mostert visited the circuit on Monday.

Joined by Newcastle Mayor Nuatali Nelmes, the trio witnessed new tarmac being laid on Wharf Road, which will become the main straight for the Supercars circuit.

Courtney and Mostert were among the first group of drivers to visit Newcastle for the announcement of the race a year ago, while van Gisbergen was part of April’s ticket launch.

Tickets remain on sale ahead of the event, including for an additional grandstand announced earlier this month to meet demand.

Coates Hire Newcastle 500 | Tickets | Event Info

“I was one of the first drivers here when they announced what they were planning on doing with the track,” said Mostert.

“They’ve changed it a fair bit since then and it looks really fantastic. The elevation changes here are very exciting.

“It’s exciting to see it all coming together 60 days out. It’s good to be a part of and come back down here to check it out.

“Hopefully it gives us a bit of an advantage come November.”

Courtney echoed Mostert’s sentiments on the progress.

“It’s been great to see it develop over the time and to be here now when the guys are 60 days out and starting to lay the main straight it’s pretty exciting,” he said.

“The way the town’s changed has been great. I think it’s going to be an excellent event and I can’t want to get here.”

comments powered by Disqus
Follow Us
Stay In The Know
Sign up to the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship Newsletter